Kelly Lee Phipps was born February 5, 1971 and he left us to play in the stars on March 25, 2014. Here is a short biography, in his own words.
I was born in Jackson, Mississippi on Feb 5th 1971 at 3:14 AM.
I grew up in Boulder, Colorado where I encountered a series of teachers and friends who helped launch me on the path of self-discovery at age fourteen. I was immediately intrigued by astrology, philosophy, and metaphysics, which lead me to cultivate spiritual practices into my life during high school. I studied martial arts, played football, ran track (pole-vault & hurdles), learned Japanese, and contemplated the universe while expanding my knowledge of astrology.
I studied astrophysics and Jungian psychology at the University of Colorado working on a synthesis between quantum physics and spirituality, resulting in my unique cosmic philosophy. I became a professional astrologer working with clients and lecturing at age 23 in Key West, FL, publishing my first epic astrology book, Celestial Renaissance, and Brazenwood, a fantasy adventure novel.
At the turn of the century, I relocated to Asheville, NC where I continued to refine my astrological and writing crafts leading to the creation of a documentary film, Return of the Magi, in 2007-2008.
In 2010, I embraced location independence, adopting a travel lifestyle where I wander the globe sharing the magical wisdom of astrology with humanity. Subscribe to my TravelingMagi Blog for the continuing adventures of a celestial characterologist. Then in 2011, I returned to Boulder, Colorado after writing Elemental Wave Chronicles, in order to begin preparing for the Global Renaissance in 2020 where my intention is to build a new Academy of Astrolgoy and Metaphysics.
Credentials & Background
- Served an apprenticeship in astrology during high school from ’85 to ‘89 under professional astrologer and teacher Bonnie Wingo. The training included extensive chart calculation techniques as well as in-depth interpretation.
- Independent research and study of astrology, mythology, history, Jungian archetypes, and symbolic languages (like Japanese) lead to the publication of my first book on astrology called Celestial Renaissance: A Revolution of Astrology. After its publication in 1997 I traveled to give lectures and book signings at metaphysical bookstores, conferences and Whole Life Expos throughout the country.
- I’ve taught extensive classes and workshops in astrology, inspiring others to delve into birth chart interpretation with insight, humor and poetry. I have also taught one-on-one apprenticeships, aided by a high quality astrological library that I’ve collected over the years, and have subsequently trained many practicing professional astrologers. In my years teaching private lessons and classes I’ve designed a number of innovative educational tools for astrology.
- In 2003 I spoke at NORWAC (May), the annual NY NCGR conference (June), AFA’s annual conference (Jul) in Phoenix. I’ve received excellent evaluations at all of them, applauding my enthusiasm and passion for astrology. I returned to Seattle to present at the WSAA in early September and also did a lecture for the Vancouver Astrological Society (Sep 19). I emceed the “Next Generation of Astrologers” free speech night at the ISAR conference in Anaheim CA in October. In April 2004, I gave a lecture for the NTA, the NCGR group in North Carolina. In 2005, I presented a summer lecture for ISAR at the bi-annual conference in Chicago, followed by a lecture in Boulder, CO for ROMA. In Jan 2006, I lectured for Spiritual Frontiers Fellowship in Raleigh NC with a packed auditorium. In 2007, I spoke at the NCGR National Conference in Baltimore, Maryland among others on the east coast. I spoke at the BLAST astrology conference held in Sedona Arizona in 2007 and 2008, and was hired to film all the lectures.
- I’ve been a full-time self-employed astrologer and writer since 1994 based in Key West, FL, Asheville, NC, and now Boulder, CO. During those years I’ve interpreted and recorded thousands of birth charts. In 2001, I developed and designed a website for astrology, poetry, fantasy, and creativity, my first foray into web design.
- As of 2002, I began writing and submitting articles to various publications. The first was published in Spirit in the Smokies magazine and called Living the Mystery, about the miraculous dimensions of opening as an oracle during astrological interpretation. The other was called Biblical Insights into Astrology, published electronically by Jeff Jawer on his website www.stariq.com. I had a monthly column for two years called Poetic Astrology in an Asheville newspaper called The Indie. Now all my article writing happens online through this site and my Traveling Magi Blog. I started blogging during my travels documenting the journey of a Magi, starting with a 3200 mile bike tour from Boulder to San Francisco through British Columbia and Seattle!
In 2009, I appeared on national television as a professional astrologer in the ABC reality television show called Wife Swap. The relationship ended after that experience, but the show keeps airing re-runs of the Brazenwoods, showcasing my liberal lifestyle of consorting with the cosmic muse!
- Currently, I’m finishing my new astrological magnum opus called The Tao of Astrology: Chart Interpretation Guide among other projects like Living the Mystery: The Physics of Consciousness, which is about the nature of eternity and the formation of the archetypes. I utilize poetry and astrology to express deep spiritual principles about life. In addition, I am working on a book of poetry called Rising From Ashes.